Goodleigh Parish Council

 

Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2 November 2021 at 6:30pm at Goodleigh Parish Church

 

Present:           Cllrs A Gockmann (Chairman), S Clarke, Mrs C  Karniewicz, Dr S Ley, A Seaford and N Thorne.

 

In Attendance:            2 members of the public, Cllr Mrs A Davis (DCC), Parish Clerk.

 

83.       Items from the public

1.         An enquiry was made regarding the recovery of public money spent on Rustic Cottage Gunn.   It was noted that the council had made enquiries to North Devon Council after it had been raised at the June meeting. No response had been received.

2.         Concern was expressed over the run-down appearance of the old police station. Cllr Mrs Davis advised the meeting that she had submitted a complaint, but had not yet received  response from the Police and Crime Commissioner. She would chase up the matter. Devon and Cornwall Police still held the lease for the building. A planning application had been submitted for the tower block.

                 

84.       Apologies

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr M Prowse (NDC).

 

85.       Approval of Minutes of meeting held 5 October 2021

Min. 65.1          amended to include that it had been agreed to contact NDC Planning Dept.

Min. 71.2          The last sentence was amended to read “ Cllr Gockmann offered to discuss the local plan aspect with the planning officer in order to obtain further information that may have a bearing on the proposed access”.

 

The amended Minutes of the last meeting were agreed and signed as a true record.

 

86.       Matters Arising from the Minutes      

            Cllr Seaford confirmed that he had been registered as the contact for the defibrillator.

 

87.       Reports

1.         District Councillor

                  None – District Councillor not present.

 

2.         County Councillor

Coronavirus updates from Devon County Council

How to reduce Covid-19 and flu this winter?

 Wear a mask, get vaccinated and keep your distance

The link below may be of interest to residents with the situation changing and many interested in what is happening locally, this link is a useful starting point for questions and the current situation

in Devon.

The link takes you to the Covid-19 pages on the Devon County Council Website, it has daily updated information as to positive cases within the area, information about testing and track and trace.   https://www.devon.gov.uk/coronavirus-advice-in-devon/coronavirus-data/

Queens Green Canopy.

To mark Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee in 2022 this project invites people from across the United Kingdom to “Plant a Tree for the Jubilee”.

Everyone from individuals to Scout and Girlguiding groups, villages, cities, counties, schools and corporates will be encouraged to play their part to enhance our environment by planting trees during the official planting season between October to March. Tree planting will commence again in October 2022, through to the end of the Jubilee year.

With a focus on planting sustainably, the QGC will encourage planting of trees to create a legacy in honour of The Queen’s leadership of the Nation, which will benefit future generations. 

Communities and Groups - The Queen’s Green Canopy (queensgreencanopy.org)

So far there are few trees in North Devon! It would be great to see Goodleigh on the map.

If the parish council or any other community group are interested I am happy to help fund this.

Highway engagement with Parish councils.

The Parish Council will shortly receive a letter regarding “Doing What Matters” and how planning highway maintenance links with this important project.  DCC will pilot a new way of working.  The aim is to understand the routes within the parish which residents/visitors feel are the most important and gain more valuable local knowledge within the Highway team.

Currently DCC use technical data from specialised vehicles which travel along the network of roads and scan them for defects/weaknesses.  Local knowledge from Parish Councils and other

road users also feeds into this and would like the parish council to have an input into what you consider to be the priority routes within the parish together with any known issue such as drainage.

I will be sending out a map of the parish and will be asking ask that you identify the top 2 priority routes within the parish and any locations of known drainage issues that you would like to be investigated/considered. In identifying your routes it would be good if you could consider the following points:

 

             What routes you think are most used and important to your residents/visitors

             What problems you are aware of on the road/footway

             Which roads/footways you feel need to be maintained within the Parish in priority order

             If you are aware of any drainage problems

             Special events/dates when we should avoid undertaking works

             Issues which people raise with you in relation to highway maintenance

 

There will be other highways issues that you would like us to consider such as speeding, vegetation and signs but at present we would like the parish to focus on the maintenance of the roads within the parish.

This is just a ‘heads up’ to what will be coming to you and gives you some time to think about the routes which are your top 2 priority routes.

Funding available for organisations to support self-isolating residents

Devon County Council is launching a new fund to help community organisations provide practical, social and emotional support to Devon residents self-isolating due to COVID-19.

The grants of up to £5,000 for small projects and £20,000 for larger projects can be used to help those self-isolating with any caring responsibilities; accessing food and other supplies; practical tasks such as dog walking; and mental health and wellbeing support to address things like loneliness and boredom.

Groups can also use the money to improve their community’s awareness and understanding of the government’s self-isolation rules, including when you need to self-isolate, how long for, what it involves and why it is a vitally important part of slowing the spread of COVID-19, as well as what

The legal requirement to self-isolate for ten days if you test positive for coronavirus, or you are an unvaccinated contact of someone who does, remains a critical part of breaking the chains of transmission by preventing those who are infected from mixing others and passing on the virus.

This financial support to the organisations that are doing innovative and inspiring work to reach people within their communities, particularly the most vulnerable, and help them to remain well-connected and resilient as we face the challenge of managing coronavirus over the winter.

To help ensure vital support reaches those who need it most, the council has identified particular communities that could be prioritised, including areas of socio-economic deprivation; multi-generational and high occupancy households and occupations with high COVID-19 exposure risk as well as Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups, certain religions, faiths and nationalities linked to increased risk and people with disabilities or impairments. They are also keen to focus funding on under-represented communities such as LGBQ+ and trans or non-binary gender, Gypsy, Roma and Travellers, migrants, asylum seekers and refugees and people with dependencies on drugs or alcohol in contact with services or experiencing homelessness and rough sleepers.

Applications will be accepted from constituted and not-for-private-profit voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector groups and organisations, town and parish councils, charities, very small groups who have no independent bank account (who have an eligible sponsor) or a combination of such groups working together. Devon County Council is working in partnership with Devon Communities Together and the wider voluntary and community sector to support community groups wishing to access this fund.

For more information about the COVID-19 Outbreak Management Grant, including how to apply, please visit devon.cc/outbreak-management-grant

88.       Planning Applications:

            None received. 

 

89.       Longland Close Play Area

            It was reported that the boundary fence with the village hall had been repaired.

A work party was being set up, but they would need a list of work to be carried out.

It was reported that the goal posts were rusty, and should be removed. It was noted that these were not the property of the parish council, or on land that the council rented. North Devon Homes to be advised, and asked to remove.

 

90.       Play Area Management Plan

            Nothing to report.

 

91.       Correspondence

            The following items of correspondence were noted:

1.              Update on Honey Hill. NDC had obtained a County Court Order on 28 October requiring compliance within 28 days. The site would be visited on 23 November to check complience 

2.              Maria Bailey – offer to attend a parish council meeting.

3.              Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner – offer to attend a parish council meeting

4.              Road Closure – Road past St Gregory’s Church, Saturday 11 December 8.30am-5.30pm.

5.              Request from SW Heritage Trust for funding for the North Devon Record Office.

6.              DALC Newsletter

 

92.       Highway Engagement

            No new information received. Item deferred to the next meeting.

 

93.       Provision of Mirrors

It was reported that there were no obvious locations for a mirror to be mounted. The junction was not considered sufficiently dangerous to require further attention, although it was acknowledged that there were problems at certain times of the day.

 

94.       Surface Water/Drains/Highways

1.         It was reported that motorists were experiencing problems caused by vehicles being parked close to the Longland Close junction.

            2.         A streetlight in the middle of the village was not working. Matter to be reported to DCC.

3.         A gouge in the middle of the road between the Northleigh junction and Gunn was reported. DCC to be notified.

            4.         It was reported that there were several blocked drains at Snapper.

 

95.       Neighbourhood Plan

Cllr Dr Ley had spoken to Mr Cloake regarding the progress that he had made whilst a parish councillor. It was agreed to hold a meeting on 15 November.

 

96.       Christmas Lunch

Three offers of help had been received from parishioners. Consultation with those likely to attend had resulted in a good level of support. It was therefore agreed, by a majority vote, to proceed.

            It was agreed that no-one should be expected to help, and that it would be a personal choice.

            Cllr Dr Ley agreed to contact Mrs Newel, who had offered to purchase the necessary food etc. 

 

97.       Matters from the Chairman               

            None.

 

98.       Finance

1.     Payments

Goodleigh United Church                      £20.00              Cheque No. 914

Mr  D Mallabone                                   £700.00            Cheque No. 915

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses                     £90.37              Cheque No. 916

                                   

The three accounts were approved for payment.

 

99.       Items for the next Agenda:

Setting of Precept and Budget for 2022/2023;  Play Area; Playing Field Management Plan; Highway Engagement; Neighbourhood Plan; Christmas Lunch.

                 

100.      Date of next meeting: Tuesday 7 December 2021  

                 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 7:37pm.

 

 

 

Signed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . .                                 Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Chairman